Data Validation Rules

  1. #1
    Louise
    Guest

    Data Validation Rules

    Hi all

    I am trying to think of occasions when I would use the Data Validation Rules
    feature.

    The only one I can think of at the moment is that if I had a new user to
    Excel, I can set validation rules per column, only allowing them to enter
    figures between, say, 100 and 200. It will, therefore, highlight any figures
    outside these parameters that they have entered by mistake.

    Can anybody think of another typical example when Data Validation would be
    useful? What do other people use it for?

    Thank you.
    Louise

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    If you are entering data where it is important that a persons name is entered conistently
    eg Dave Smith, David Smith, Mr D Smith, Mr David Smith etc all all the same person, you can only give options of the valid names. This would be useful if you were to be running a pivot table or countif, sumif or sumproduct on the data to aggregate it. As a person would be called by the same name every time!

    So in the above example you would have one unique name for each member of staff and the list to validate against would be the list of staff.

    Also you sometimes wish to have a date always in the past, eg you can not fill out expenses claims before expenses have been incurred!

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3

    Re: Data Validation Rules

    Any manner of reasons
    (1) Allow a choice from a list
    (2) restrict entry to ONLY dates - thus stopping people typing 01.01.01
    and thinking it's a date
    (3) Restrict the length of entry - for many of my applications, a value
    entered must always be a given length
    (4) even without a rule, Data Validation allows you to give
    instructions to the user

  4. #4
    Louise
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Rules

    Hello, thank you for your reply.

    What do you mean 'allow a choice from a list'?

    Louise

  5. #5
    Louise
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Rules

    Found it! THanks again.
    Louise

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Rules

    If you go into Data Validation, the first dropdown, named Allow, provides
    the types of validation that you can set. If you choose List, you can refer
    to a list of allowable values, or even type them in directly.

    A better question is why not use Data Validation. It is a great facility,
    and should be used more. Debra Dalgleish has details on her website at

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Louise
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Rules

    Yes, you're quite right, I don't think I'm using it to the best of its ability.
    Thanks for the link.
    Louise