Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

  1. #1

    Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

    If I've got a column with lots of different values in, but they can be repeated, eg:

    Bob
    Sarah
    Steve
    Sarah
    Sarah
    Bob
    Jim

    etc etc. Is there a way I can split them up by value and count the number of times each value appeared, keeping in mind that the values entered will be different all the time so I can't set a list of values to check through, they could be anything. So say for the list above, I'd want to get the following displayed somewhere for printing:

    Bob 2
    Sarah 3
    Steve 1
    Jim 1

    Any help would be most appreciated!!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"Bob")

    etc.

    Bob Phillips

    "me123" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

    Read Help and learn about Pivot Table then come back form more explanations
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

    More about Pivot tables:
    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
    remove caps from email

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    I know how to count the values if I know what the string to look for is going to be, but I won't know the strings in advance so I need to do something more than this. Thanks though

    I can see what the pivot table does, but how do I then count the occurrences? I want to get it to appear just in cells next door to each other on the bottom of the list if possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Count occurrences of values in a column??!!

    You could refer to the cells, if the range is A1:A10 you can put this in B1

    =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,A1)

    and copy down

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com