existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

  1. #1

    existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    so - someone on this groups list posted the following awesome and
    simple formula to pull unique values out of one column (thank you very
    much, by the way)

    =INDEX($D$4:$D$21,MATCH(0,COUNTIF($G$3:G3,$D$4:$D$21),0))

    this formula (when you shift-control enter it and paste down column g)
    will list all the unique values from column d. this is a great formula.

    however, can anybody suggest a way i could adapt this formula to the
    following 2 problems?

    1. where instead of pasting down a column, i need a unique value every
    3 cells down a column?

    2. where i only want unique values that correspond to positive values
    in a neighboring column?

    thanks!!
    jason gers
    glaceau
    whitestone, queens, nyc

  2. #2

    Re: existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    ok ok i figured out the answer to question 1... this one was actually
    easy -- as long as the range on the countif statement includes all the
    other values, it won't start the list over again... but any clues on
    the second one?

    jason gers
    glaceau

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    > 2. where i only want unique values that correspond to positive values
    > in a neighboring column?

    Assuming that the 'neighbouring column' is Column E, try...

    =INDEX(D4:D$21,MATCH(0,IF(E4:E$21>0,COUNTIF(G$3:G3,D4:D$21)),0))

    Hope this helps!

  4. #4

    Re: existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    hmm... not working for me, just gives me an error message on the "0" in
    the if statement.

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    You must have copied some extra characters or done somthing else
    incorrectly, it shouldn't stop on that part. The formula works fine

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    okay i'm not getting an error message anymore, but it's not bringing up
    the right information. the formula is bringing up values from "d" with
    zeros in "e"; it misses values from d with positive values in "e" and
    finally, when you delete one from the top of the list, the rest of the
    cloumn should adjust, but it isn't... any clues? if not it's okay, it's
    not that much manual work, the original formula is a big help for me
    though. thanks again.
    jason

  7. #7
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: existing unique value formula help (index(match(countif)))

    It's likely that the numbers in Column E are being recognized as text.
    Try the following...

    1) Select an empty cell

    2) Edit > Copy

    3) Select Column E