shortcut to last entry in a column

  1. #1
    inthestands
    Guest

    shortcut to last entry in a column

    I have data in every other row in a column from rows A1 to A12455. I would
    like to know if there is a keyboard shortcut that takes me directly to the
    last cell (A12455) in the column that has data in it.

    Thanks in advance,

    Ed

  2. #2
    JethroUK©
    Guest

    Re: shortcut to last entry in a column

    CTRL + DOWN

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    I think you want Control + End

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    sorry, Control+End is the last cell in the used range.

  5. #5
    inthestands
    Guest

    Re: shortcut to last entry in a column

    I am sorry, CTRL+Down only takes me to the next cell after a single open
    cell. I need to get to the last cell. ( I am assuming down is the down
    arrow).
    --
    inthestands

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    Try something like this "trick":

    Create a Dynamic Named Range:

    Names in Workbook: aaa
    Refers to:
    =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$65535,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$65535))*(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$65535<>""))))

    That works if your entries will be in sporadic cells anywhere in Col_A. I
    locates the last entry in Col_A with a value.
    If your practical row limit is something less that 65,535 use a different
    limit.
    Note: That formula won't accept an entire column (eg $A:$A )

    Now...to go directly to your last input:
    Press the [F5] key (the shortcut for <edit><goto>)
    Type: aaa
    Press [enter]

    Not the most elegant solution, but it's quick to execute and involves no VBA.
    Is that something you can work with?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  7. #7
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    I usually go to a column a know is empty and hit Control+Down(arrow) to get
    to the bottom of the sheet, then go over to the column I want and hit
    Control+Up(arrow)

    Or, if he wants to be able to go to the last cell of any column and doesn't
    mind a VBA solution, I would put this in the Personal macro workbook and
    attach it to a button on the toolbar, or assign a shortcut key.

    Sub LastCell()
    With ActiveCell.Parent
    .Cells(.Rows.Count, _
    ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp).Select
    End With
    End Sub

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    My apologies, JMB....I meant to respond to the original post, not your post.

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  9. #9
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    No need to apologize, Ron.

  10. #10
    Constantly Amazed
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    Hi

    I used the code which worked nicely.

    How would I have to modify it if I wanted to select the first cell in the
    column (parent cell ?) and then not only fmove to the last entry but also
    select all cells inbetween ie ready for copying.

    Regards

  11. #11
    Constantly Amazed

  12. #12
    Constantly Amazed

  13. #13
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: shortcut to last entry in a column

    You just need to find the first and last cell. The "parent" of the active
    cell is the worksheet. Everything inside the With statement that is preceded
    by a period refers back to the object described in the first line of the with
    statement. You can specify a specific cell on the worksheet by using
    Cells(Row, Column).

    The first cell is found by checking to see if the cell in row 1 of the
    activecell's column is empty. If not, that is the first cell. If so, it
    finds the first cell with something in it (the end(xldown) method - it works
    similar to you holding down the Control+DownArrow key). Repeat the process
    to find the ending cell only starting from the bottom of the worksheet and
    going up.

    Sub LastCell()
    Dim rngCell1 As Range
    Dim rngCell2 As Range

    With ActiveCell.Parent
    If IsEmpty(.Cells(1, ActiveCell.Column)) Then
    Set rngCell1 = .Cells(1, _
    ActiveCell.Column).End(xlDown)
    Else: Set rngCell1 = .Cells(1, _
    ActiveCell.Column)
    End If

    If IsEmpty(.Cells(.Rows.Count, ActiveCell.Column)) Then
    Set rngCell2 = .Cells(.Rows.Count, _
    ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp)
    Else: Set rngCell2 = .Cells(.Rows.Count, _
    ActiveCell.Column)
    End If

    .Range(rngCell1, rngCell2).Select
    End With
    End Sub

  14. #14
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: shortcut to last entry in a column

    try
    Sub firsttolast()
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
    fr = Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)(1).Row
    Range(Cells(fr, 1), Cells(lr, 1)).Copy

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]
    "Constantly Amazed" <Constantly [email protected]> wrote in