Excel extending result to multiple decimals

  1. #1
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Excel extending result to multiple decimals

    You must round any calculation result before you compare it to a manually
    entered quantity.

    e7: =ROUND(SUM(C7:D7),1)

    AP
    news: [email protected]...

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus

  5. #5
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Excel extending result to multiple decimals

    Ardus has told you how to solve the problem but has not explained why.
    Computers store numbers in binary notation (base 2) and some decimal (base
    10) numbers have no exact representation in binary when limited to 15
    digits. For more read:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/78113
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    dls2193
    Guest

    Re: Excel extending result to multiple decimals

    I am familiar with the round function. It seems odd that there can be such
    discrepency when summing only two numbers. Thanks to all who replied!

    dls2193

  7. #7
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Excel extending result to multiple decimals

    Summing is not the issue. As Bernard pointed out, the issue is that .6 has
    not exact representation in binary and must be approximated. What you are
    seeing is perfectly correct arithmetic given the unavoidable approximation to
    your intput. You will get a similar result from almost all computer
    software, since the binary number format that Excel uses is that specified by
    an IEEE standard.

    You can use the D2D function at
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...06871cf92f8465
    to see that when you type in -123151.6 you really get
    -1.2315160000000000582076609134674072265625
    so that your sum should be
    48.39999999999417923390865325927734375
    which Excel correctly reports to its documented limit of 15 digits.

    Jerry

  8. #8
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Excel extending result to multiple decimals

    Sorry, in switching from the scientific notation output of D2D() to fixed
    decimal, I filed to move the decimal point. The decimal representation of
    the binary approximation to -123151.6 is of course