Locating First and Last Cell Containing a Specific Value

  1. #1

    Locating First and Last Cell Containing a Specific Value

    Hello,

    I have data in several columns, the first being a date and timestamp
    and the second being an identifier (numeric). The numeric identifier
    occurs repeatedly at different times (each identifier appears in
    numerous rows).

    I would like a way of extracting the timestamp of the first and last
    occurrence of an identifier.

    A:A contains Timestamp
    B:B contains Identifier (not unique)

    Ideally, given a particular Identifier, I would like to write a formula
    that would return the timestamp of its first occurrence and another
    that would return the last occurence.

    I've tried multiple suggestions including ADDRESS and various LOOKUPs,
    but no luck yet.

    Thanks for any suggestions!

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Locating First and Last Cell Containing a Specific Value

    1. sort the data by column A (the stamp)
    2. autofilter by column B (the ident)
    the first visible entry is the first value that last visible entry is the
    laster entry for that ident
    --
    Gary's Student