keeping cell format with formula

  1. #1
    JAB
    Guest

    keeping cell format with formula

    I am working with this formula:
    =INDEX(TRIM(TEST1!$A$2:$A$252),MATCH(TRIM(TEST2!B2),TRIM(TEST1!$B$2:$B$252),0),1)

    The dates that I am pulling from TEST1! are formatted "mm/dd/yyyy", and it
    appears that way in the cells, but when I pull the info from TEST1! and it
    goes into TEST2!, all the data changes in TEST2!, due to a format issue I
    think. I have tried formatting the cells in TEST2!$A$2:$A$252 by manually
    highlighting and changing the format from the format menu, but it doesn't
    seem to work.... Again, my question is how do I get the newly calculated
    material (from TEST1!) to keep the same format as "mm/dd/yyyy" in TEST2!

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: keeping cell format with formula

    One way of doing it with formulas is adding the TEXT formula to the result,
    something like:
    =TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")
    Instead of A1, you can insert there the formula you use to transfer the data
    from one sheet to the other, and that will ensure that the data is formated
    in the mm/dd/yyyy format.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    JAB
    Guest

    RE: keeping cell format with formula

    Thank you very much, that did the trick!

    JAB