MIN function

  1. #1
    noyb
    Guest

    MIN function

    I have a simple =MIN(A1,<formula>) if A1 is 0 the min=0 but if a1 is
    blank min=formula (which resolves to greater than 0). A1 is formated as
    number. Never seen this before and have no idea what is causing this.
    Any ideas much appreciated.
    ps just changed <formula> to 5 and still get min of 0 & 5 = 5??? Why
    does Excel not see a blank as 0, if this is the problem?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: MIN function

    Try something like this:

    For A1 as a value or blank

    =MIN(+A1,(formula))

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: MIN function

    Hi

    =MIN(SUM(A1),<formula>)

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    noyb
    Guest

    Re: MIN function

    Yes, thanks

  5. #5
    noyb
    Guest

    Re: MIN function

    Thanks for reply. This works but I will stick with the shorter "+"
    example above.

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: MIN function

    Hi

    The formulas don't behave exactly in same way. My formula returns 0 whenever
    in A1 is non-numeric, Ron's formla returns 0, when A1 is empty, but error
    when there is some text entry, or even a formula which returns empty string.
    Which you prefer, depends on your data.