Can I get Excel to calculate hours:minutes when sum exceeds 24?

  1. #1
    nickq2
    Guest

    Can I get Excel to calculate hours:minutes when sum exceeds 24?

    I'm trying to do calculations involving hours & minutes. Whenever the answer
    is more than 24 hours, Excel automatically subtracts 24 from the answer -
    27:15 becomes 03:15. I don't want to use decimals instead, so is it possible
    to get round this?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    Use a custom format of [hh]:mm then the hours will just get bigger than 24

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Can I get Excel to calculate hours:minutes when sum exceeds 24?

    Format cell with custom format: [h]:mm or [hh]:mm
    The brackets prevent 24 modulation
    The first will show for example 9:25 and 15:25
    The second will show 09:25 and 15:25
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Can I get Excel to calculate hours:minutes when sum exceeds 24?

    Just format the cell with the formula in as:

    [h]:mm

    This allows times like 27:15 to be displayed.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Larry S
    Guest

    Re: Can I get Excel to calculate hours:minutes when sum exceeds 24?

    Try a custom format of the resultant cell:

    Format/Cells/Custom

    and then enter: dd:hh:mm:ss

    This assumes you want to show the # of days, hour, minute and seconds

  6. #6
    nickq2
    Guest

    Re: Can I get Excel to calculate hours:minutes when sum exceeds 24

    Absolutely perfect!! Thank you to all of you.