How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

  1. #1
    Goo
    Guest

    How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

    For example any time a cell contains the text "greater" I would like the font
    for the word greater to be bold but not the other text in that cell.

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

    Hi Goo

    Only possible with code not with Conditional Formatting.
    Do you want to use code ?

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

    Not possible using conditional formatting

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Gary
    Guest

    Re: How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

    Go to Format / conditional formatting

    in the first box, select CELL VALUE IS from the drop down.

    in the second box, select EQUAL TO from the drop down.

    in the third box write, GREATER (or whatever the word is)

    click on Format and format the font.

    I hope it helps.

    GARY

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

    this is the idea. modify to suit needs. Perhaps a worksheet_change event?

    Sub boldwordinstring()
    pos = InStr(ActiveCell, "greater")
    With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=pos, Length:=7).Font
    .FontStyle = "Regular"
    If pos > 0 Then
    ' .Name = "Courier"
    .FontStyle = "Bold"
    ' .Size = 10
    ' .Underline = xlUnderlineStyleNone
    ' .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End If
    End With

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    kdlilly
    Guest

    Re: How do I conditionally format only some of the text in a cell?

    My formula in excel contains the following formula. I am only wanting to
    conditionally format the word incresed in a color. Can you tell me how to go
    about doing this? Regards.

    =" increased from " & TEXT(AsthmaER Previous,"0.0") & " in " & DMPrevYE &"."