Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

  1. #1
    fedude
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    When I go to use conditional formatting I find I can only use a subset of the
    normal border line thicknesses. Is there any way to select a thicker border
    when using conditional formatting?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    No, you can only use the borders that are shown in the conditional
    formatting dialog box. Conditional formatting options don't include
    anything that might change the row height.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    fedude
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    Well that stinks! Thanks for the info Deb.

  4. #4
    Fancy1

    fedude wrote:
    > Well that stinks! Thanks for the info Deb.
    >
    > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
    >

    >>No, you can only use the borders that are shown in the conditional
    >>formatting dialog box. Conditional formatting options don't include
    >>anything that might change the row height.
    >>
    >>fedude wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I go to use conditional formatting I find I can only use a subset of the
    >>>normal border line thicknesses. Is there any way to select a thicker border
    >>>when using conditional formatting?

    >>--
    >>Debra Dalgleish
    >>Contextures
    >>http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    I discovered that if you click on the Borders icon on the Formatting
    toolbar, click on Draw Borders . . . you can change the borders as thick
    as you want. Yes, you will have to go over the cells by hand, but the
    borders are definitely thicker!!

  5. #5
    fedude
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    Deb,

    Sounds like you found something however, your description lost me. The draw
    borders icon on the formatting toolbar only allows you to select a border
    position. I don't see what you are refering to when you say "Draw Borders"

    In the normal cell formatting menu when I select the borders tab, I can
    select a line thicknes. If I select a thick line, when I leave this dialog,
    I can now use the borders icon on the formatting toolbar to put a thick
    border around a ceell by just using the toolbar selection. And this works
    well,however, if I select a cell that has conditional formatting on it, it
    always defaults to a thin line border.

    Is this what you were refering to?

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    The message about using the Draw Borders toolbar was from Fancy1, not
    from me. And it doesn't help with conditional formatting of borders.

  7. #7
    Utah, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    Although excel doesn't seem to support it, there are two workarounds to conditionally use thicker borders on a cell.

    1) Use a VBA script to trigger on "change" events. Parse the page and apply formatting as per your pre-determined criteria.

    2) Apply thick borders to ALL cells and apply standard borders to the cells which do not meet your criteria.

  8. #8
    New York
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    Apologies for bumping an old thread but I searched and found this, then came up with my own workaround which was not listed here

    You could just set the default cell format with thick borders in the usual way, and then define the conditional formatting to remove those borders. In other words, if you were trying to get thick borders conditional on $A$1="Apple", then you could set a rule which removes all borders conditional on $A$1<>"Apple".

    Since you have the ability to create thick borders outside of conditional formatting but not within, simply reverse the logic of the condition.

  9. #9
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    I think that was the point made in method 2 of post #7.

  10. #10
    Southfield, MI
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    I see this is an old thread, but I only found it as I trying to solve the same issue.
    I found an easier method.
    Rather than formatting all cells to have a thicker border, simply adjust only the cells you wish to change:
    1) In Conditional formatting, go to the border option and hit Clear (bottom right). You may have to click None or other way to achieve the border lines becoming GREYED OUT as opposed to simply blank.
    2) Save and exit Conditional Formatting.
    3) With cell selected, go to Format Cells, Borders. Now, you can manually select the borders you want to adjust, and then specify color, style, thickness, etc.
    4) Save and exit Cell Formatting.

    NOTE: If you want to keep certain borders Conditionally Formatted with the default thickness, simply select those borders once they are greyed out as in step 1.

  11. #11
    York UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    I choose option 2 real easy and it appeals reversing the logic. I read it here before I had time to think it through. Thank you

    Zetareticuli
    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?
    Although excel doesn't seem to support it, there are two workarounds to conditionally use thicker borders on a cell.

    1) Use a VBA script to trigger on "change" events. Parse the page and apply formatting as per your pre-determined criteria.

    2) Apply thick borders to ALL cells and apply standard borders to the cells which do not meet your criteria.
    Last edited by Silica190; 09-29-2022 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Add more info

  12. #12

    Re: Conditional Formatting - Thick Border?

    The Reverse logic idea is great!

    I would also say - as someone who does a lot of VBA conditional formatting - it can really slow things down as the sheets get larger.

    Thanks.