IS there a mathematical formula for NORMSINV?

  1. #1
    SyBorg
    Guest

    IS there a mathematical formula for NORMSINV?

    I'm trying to verify the calculation for the Inverse Cumulative Standard
    Normal Distribution Function (also known as the Probit function) represented
    by the Excel function NORMSINV( ).

    For instance: The Excel function =NORMSINV(0.9626) returns 1.78.

    Can someone show me a manual calculation for this? I'm currently digging
    through the statistics books, but hoping for a quick-n-dirty solution.

    Thanks,

    - George

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: IS there a mathematical formula for NORMSINV?

    To check the calculation,
    =ABS(NORMSDIST(NORMSINV(p))-p)
    should be be small (relative to p).

    NORMSDIST is and integral that has no simple closed form. Some
    approximations are given in
    http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_932.htm
    http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_933.htm

    NORMSDIST(x) and NORMSINV(p) are reasonably accurate (~4-6 figures) in all
    versions for ABS(x)<4 which correspons to MIN(p,1-p)>3E-5. If you need to go
    farther into the tails, then you either need Excel 2003, or Ian Smith's
    library of probability functions
    http://members.aol.com/iandjmsmith/Examples.xls

    Jerry