cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

  1. #1
    LoveThatMouse
    Guest

    cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

    When skipping around in a table of data to update certain cells, its quite
    common for some to click into the cell, enter the new data, and then click
    the next cell where data must be updated. I have found that when Validating
    data at these cells, validation does not work unless you hit the ENTER key to
    accept the new data.

    Is there a way to either have the validation work by using the mouse
    navigation method or prevent mouse navigation from switching cells before an
    ENTER key is pressed?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,482
    hmm.. I can't duplicated the problem

  3. #3
    LoveThatMouse
    Guest

    Re: cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

    I guess I did not define it far enough. If the validation criteria strickly
    monitors the cell where data is being entered, you are correct and that works
    fine. If, on the other hand, a custom formula is entered that checks another
    cells value as a prerequisit for entry of a value in the Entry Cell, this is
    where I run into the problem. My table consists of columns of entry that
    represent manhours entry for a daily time sheet. At the bottom of the column
    is a SUM cell for each day that totals all the cells above it in that table
    column. The validation for each of the cells in a column checks the SUM cell
    for a value =< 24. In other words, you can't have more than 24 hours in any
    one day.

    The first time I enter a value in any of that days column cells that makes
    the SUM cell exceed 24, Excel actually accepts that entry if and only if I
    just click into another field. This is even though the validation criteria
    has been exceeded. If I try to enter something else in that same cell a
    second time, nothing will be accepted using the Mouse Click method of entry
    until I actually delete the contents of the field.

    Using the ENTER key to make cell data entry has no such issues.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

    Say you're adding A1 to A10, with your Sum() function in A11:

    =SUM(A1:A10)

    And, I assume your validation formula might be:

    =$A$11<=24

    If I'm correct in my assumption of your formula, try this validation formula
    instead:

    =SUM(A1:A10)<=24

    Which *doesn't* allow the entry you described, at least on my XL97 machine.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

    Forgot the absolutes:

    =SUM($B$1:$B$10)<=24

    RD

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Say you're adding A1 to A10, with your Sum() function in A11:
    >
    > =SUM(A1:A10)
    >
    > And, I assume your validation formula might be:
    >
    > =$A$11<=24
    >
    > If I'm correct in my assumption of your formula, try this validation

    formula
    > instead:
    >
    > =SUM(A1:A10)<=24
    >
    > Which *doesn't* allow the entry you described, at least on my XL97

    machine.
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  6. #6
    LoveThatMouse
    Guest

    Re: cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

    Right on the money. Thanks. Can't say I understand why one formula vs. the
    other worked but your suggestion made my day. Thanks
    LTM

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: cell data not validated if navigating cell to cell with mouse

    You're welcome -
    And thank you for the feed-back.

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -