COUNTBLANK function

  1. #1
    Ian P
    Guest

    COUNTBLANK function

    I posted a question the other day about the COUNTBLANK function because when
    I used it to count the blank cells returned by the formula =IF(a1="","",a1)
    it didn't work unless I deleted the contents of a1 twice.

    I have now tried this on my home PC running Excel97 and I get exactly the
    same fault as I do at work running Excel2000. Interestingly depending on the
    order in which I set up the spreadsheet (either entering the formula first or
    entering the A1 first) I can get the fault to occur on not. So I have
    reached the conclusion that there is a fault with this functionality. Bob
    Phillips mentioned that COUNTBLANK can't be used to count formulas returning
    "" so is this a change in a later version of Excel?

    Ian

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: COUNTBLANK function

    COUNTBLANK() should count formulae returning blanks as well. See:

    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: COUNTBLANK function

    "Gary''s Student" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ian P" wrote:
    >
    >> I posted a question the other day about the COUNTBLANK function because
    >> when
    >> I used it to count the blank cells returned by the formula
    >> =IF(a1="","",a1)
    >> it didn't work unless I deleted the contents of a1 twice.
    >>
    >> I have now tried this on my home PC running Excel97 and I get exactly the
    >> same fault as I do at work running Excel2000. Interestingly depending on
    >> the
    >> order in which I set up the spreadsheet (either entering the formula
    >> first or
    >> entering the A1 first) I can get the fault to occur on not. So I have
    >> reached the conclusion that there is a fault with this functionality.
    >> Bob
    >> Phillips mentioned that COUNTBLANK can't be used to count formulas
    >> returning
    >> "" so is this a change in a later version of Excel?

    > COUNTBLANK() should count formulae returning blanks as well. See:
    >
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...090281033.aspx

    http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ank_Value.html and
    http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ank_Cells.html
    suggest that this hasn't changed between 97, 2000, & 2003.
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: COUNTBLANK function

    I'm on an XL97 machine today and the Countblank() function *does* count zero
    length strings (""), which are returned by formulas.

    RD

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: COUNTBLANK function

    Just to add to what's already been posted:

    From Excel help:

    COUNTBLANK
    Counts empty cells in a specified range of cells.
    Cells with formulas that return "" (empty text) are also counted.

    ISBLANK
    The ISBLANK function returns the logical value TRUE if value is a reference
    to an empty cell; otherwise it returns FALSE.

    A1 = =""

    =COUNTBLANK(A1) = 1
    =ISBLANK(A1) = FALSE

    The should have named ISBLANK ISEMPTY