can a function do this?

  1. #1
    jamie
    Guest

    can a function do this?

    Hi

    In this function, i would like the cell to look at the current year and
    month. if this is the current month and year, eg may2006, if true, add up a
    list of names, if false eg mar 2006, keep the total that was counted when
    true.

    so the funtion needs to save the number counted when true and then keep it
    for when the junction is false.

    i have tried to do this without success. can anyone help?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    No, you would need multiple cells for that as a cell cannot have a value and
    a formula, one or the other, not both.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    thanks. but isnt that classed as circular?

    eg. cell a1 has the function, the true total is saved to b1, then a1 = b2
    if the a1 statement is false...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    I don't think I fully understand what you are trying to do. Keep an example
    of TRUE and an example of FALSE.

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    Are you saying that you want the formula to show April 2006 until May is
    reached and then show May?

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  6. #6
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    no, i mean each month has a serparate cell. when the next month starts, then
    the following cell will count up how many names in the list and the previous
    month, that cell will keep the amount it had when true.

  7. #7
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    i am aware each function has a true and false. what do you mean?

  8. #8
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    copy/paste your layout here

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    I mean give an example where it does equal current month and year with
    required results, and then one where it doesn't.

  10. #10
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    the below is for one of the periods of time. under number of people at the
    moment is just example data.

    2006
    Month Month No. of people
    January 1 10
    February 2 10
    March 3 7
    April 4 7
    May 5 9
    June 6
    July 7
    August 8
    September 9
    October 10
    November 11
    December 12

  11. #11
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    here are the examples...

    if you take the current date, if (may 2006 is equal to current date, add up
    list,false) and if (april 2006 is equal to current date, true, keep amount
    from when it was april 2006)

  12. #12
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    I still don't understand what answer you want. Give a complete example of
    the desired result.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  13. #13
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    and I thought it was me <G>

    news:[email protected]...

  14. #14
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    Based on the workbook you sent I really think you need a way to identify
    when you put in the names. Then you could use a sumif or sumproduct formula
    to identify the number of names for that month.

    Or, are you saying that you start over with a complete list of names each
    month? This is all you have to count with no other identification for each
    name
    si
    marc
    dave
    hannah

    If so, just change the formula to a value, manually or with a macro

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  15. #15
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: can a function do this?

    I sent a suggestion workbook to use dates in col and names in col b and use
    sumproduct to count the names.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software