How can I calculate amount of time left based on amount spent?

  1. #1
    KLD
    Guest

    How can I calculate amount of time left based on amount spent?

    I need a way to calculate time left based on how much has been spent to date.
    I have an original amount, and a period that the money has been set up to be
    spent in, so I need a way to calculate how long we have to spend it based on
    what was spent previously.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate amount of time left based on amount spent?

    An example might help.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate amount of time left based on amount spent?

    Assuming a linear rate of spending, you could obtain the percentage
    spent so far (i.e. money spent divided by total amount), and then
    multiply this by the overall period in which you have to spend the
    money.

    However, this makes a lot of assumptions. If you add the start date to
    the overall period, then you will have the end date, and if you
    subtract the function TODAY() from this it will give you the number of
    days remaining (or however you format it).

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    KLD
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate amount of time left based on amount spent?

    Okay maybe this will help:
    I have $500,000. I have six months time in which this money must be spent,
    or lost. I got the funds 4/1. In April, I spent $120,000. I need the
    formula to tell me how long I would have if I kept spending $120,000 a month.
    I'll change the cell refrence on a monthly basis, that way if I spend
    $135,000 in May, I will get a new calc. since obviously the funds would run
    out more quickly. Hope that helps!