create 3 drop down menus in Excel, each relating to previous

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ExcelDropDownQ
    Guest

    create 3 drop down menus in Excel, each relating to previous

    I need to create 3 different drop menus, each has to relate the previous data:
    Eg., column A has 4 pieces of data,
    column B has 16 pieces of data, but only certain data refers back to one of
    the data elements in the column A.

    So if I choose the 1st data element in Colum. A, rather than all 16 data
    elements in Colum. B showing, it should only show what directly corresponds
    to the 1st data element in Colum. A.

    Thanks for any help...

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: create 3 drop down menus in Excel, each relating to previous

    Take a look at:

  3. #3
    Larry S
    Guest

    Re: create 3 drop down menus in Excel, each relating to previous

    I have done this in the past, though I'm interested in seeing others
    approaches....

    I created "tables" using Insert/Name/Define for each of the lists and the
    name asssigned to each table had a name in it from the previoius column. In
    my case, Column A contained Organization names (there were 8 possible) so I
    have a table Table_Organizations (for illustration assume Org1, Org2,
    Org3,....Org8) which defined all 8. I then create a Tables witht the list of
    employees in each organziation and defined its range via a
    Insert/Name/Define and named it Table_Org1_Employees.

    With the above in place, I then set up the data for validation for the drop
    down for employees to key off of what specified in the column for the
    organization. The equation I used in the Data Validation was:

    =INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("Table_",INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("$a$",ROW())),"_Employees"))

    Sorry for the limited details - time is the issue - hope this is sufficient
    to get you going in the right direction.

    news:[email protected]...