Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

  1. #1
    Clark
    Guest

    Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

    Here is what I need to accomplish:

    In cell A1, I want a formula to read another cell, say E5.
    Cell E5 is a drop down list with only two choices
    If it is choice one, then I want cell A1 to display a "T"
    If it is choice two, then I want cell A1 to display a "D".

    I am trying to figure out the right combination of ISTEXT and IF statements
    to make this work.

    Clark

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

    Hi Clark

    One way
    =IF (E5="choice one","T","D")
    Substitute for "choice one" whatever is the first value in your 2
    available choices for cell E5

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown list

    =IF(E5="choice1","T","D")

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Clark
    Guest

    Re: Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown l

    Thanks Guys, I figured it out and it reads:

    =IF(('Jan 07'!E8="Tentative"),"T",IF(('Jan 07'!E8="Definite"),"D",""))

    That way it stays blank if nothing is chosen on the list.

    Clark

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Using IF formula to show what text is in the cell from ddown l

    Hi Clark

    That being the case, then it can be made even simpler, with no IF's
    required
    =LEFT('Jan O7'!E8)