How do I parse columns?

  1. #1
    ChuckNC
    Guest

    How do I parse columns?

    it doesn't appear to be a simple text to columns function. here's what i want
    to do:

    i have cell that contains :02110610 and I want to reduce it to 010. is there
    a formula, or the like, that will strip out the the first four characters
    (:021) and the last three characters (610) and then add a zero, so i end up
    with 010? can i do this in a column on one row and then drag it down +/- 2300
    rows of data? thanks a multitude, in advance, for your help, folks.
    -chuck

    p.s. pls forgive my ignorance of the proper language for this stuff.

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How do I parse columns?

    "ChuckNC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > it doesn't appear to be a simple text to columns function. here's what i
    > want
    > to do:
    >
    > i have cell that contains :02110610 and I want to reduce it to 010. is
    > there
    > a formula, or the like, that will strip out the the first four characters
    > (:021) and the last three characters (610) and then add a zero, so i end
    > up
    > with 010? can i do this in a column on one row and then drag it down +/-
    > 2300
    > rows of data? thanks a multitude, in advance, for your help, folks.
    > -chuck
    >
    > p.s. pls forgive my ignorance of the proper language for this stuff.

    =0&MID(A1,5,LEN(A1)-7) and copy this down the other rows.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Marcelo