Defined name Relative to sheets

  1. #1
    Sige
    Guest

    Defined name Relative to sheets

    Hi there,

    I would like to create a Defined NAME: eg. a1:a10 =sige which is
    relative to the sheet.
    So when having the formula sum(sige) on sheet1 it will give me the
    result of Sheet1!a1:a10
    & on sheet2 it will return me the result of sheet2!a1:a10

    Creating the name as: !a1:a10 (without the sheet name) is not a
    solution is it?

    Thanks for your insights, Sige

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Defined name Relative to sheets

    Did you try it?

    =!$A$1:$A$10

    works for me.

  3. #3
    Sige
    Guest

    Re: Defined name Relative to sheets

    Hi JE,

    Yes I did as I thought it would be the way to go ...and it works as you
    said.

    But it does not recalculate!!!
    (the Calculation is on Automatic) But even on F9, Shift F9, Ctrl
    ShiftF9 it does not recalc.
    Only when I set my cursor in the formula and Enter.

    I doubt if it has anything to do with XL97 ...

    Hmmmmmm... what's the catch this time again?
    Sige

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Defined name Relative to sheets

    You must type in the full name of the sheet for the named range to be WS
    specific.

    Sheet1!sige
    Sheet2!sige
    ...etc.

    However, if you plan ahead, you can create this named range in your first
    sheet, and then any sheet *copied* from this first sheet will, thereafter,
    contain this sheet specific named range.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Sige
    Guest

    Re: Defined name Relative to sheets

    Hi Ragdyer,

    Thanks too!
    Though the sheets (a little 50...) do exist already.

    JE's solution is the way to go I am sure ... but it does NOT recalc for
    some mysterious reason!
    This behaviour occurs in all my wbks, even brand new ones!

    Sigh sigh

  6. #6

    Re: Defined name Relative to sheets

    Insert|Name|Defind