exceptions in filtering

  1. #1
    jamie
    Guest

    exceptions in filtering

    i have an advanced filter that i want to display unique values, but due to
    cells being added later on, i have the filter on more cells than contents at
    the moment, but its taking a blank cell as a unique value, which i dont want.

    can you add an excpetion so that the cell must contain data or not empty to
    then be filtered? i have looked on this website but found nothing -

    if not, is there another way to do this?

    thanks

    Jamie

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Hi Jamie

    Instead of defining a larger range with blanks to allow for later data
    entry, create a Dynamic named range for your data and pass the named
    range to Advanced Filter instead of your static range. That way, there
    will always be data in the relevant fields and you won't have the
    problems with blanks.

    For help on setting up Dynamic Ranges take a look at Debra Dalgleish's
    site
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Roger

    thanks for the info. i have completed the steps to create this range. how
    do i pass the naed range through the advanced filter? looking at the
    wizzard, i am unsure where to tell it to look at the dynamic range.

    thanks

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Hi Jamie

    Data>Filter>Advanced Filter>List Range enter
    = myrange
    (or whatever you have called it) rather than $A$1:$M$1000.
    NOTE
    You must put the = sign in front of the name range

  5. #5
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Roger

    I entered '=projects' and '= projects' and for both it says 'reference is
    not valid'?

    the defined range is called 'projects' all lower case.

    thanks

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Hi Jamie

    Take another look at your defined name range to make sure it is correct.
    Also, did you include the single quotes, ' or were the just there to
    describe what you entered.
    You don't need quotes around the actual entry.

  7. #7
    jamie
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Roger

    The defined name and what i entered in the criteria for the filter are
    idential, yes the '' were just to describe what i entered.

    would i be able to email you an example of it?

    thanks

    Jamie

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: exceptions in filtering

    Sue Jamie

    Just omit the NOSAPM from my address to mail direct