Lock a cell from others to edit?

  1. #1
    tb
    Guest

    Lock a cell from others to edit?

    I would like to protect a few cells in my workbook that have formulas from
    other users editing?

    There are 4 systems linked together, I am the one that builds our workbooks
    and I want to be the only one that can edit a formula but allow all other
    users to edit data. Is this possible?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Lock a cell from others to edit?

    Hi tb,

    I am using an excel in Brazilian portuguese, so, I am not sure if the menus
    names are 100% corrects.

    Tools | protect | Permit user to edit interval

    Than you create an interval that they should not be able to edit, and
    protect with a password, protect the spreadsheet also

    every time (if the spreadsheet is protect) that you will edit the cell,
    excel will ask you for a password (case sensitive)

    holpe it helps
    I appreciate your feedback
    Marcelo from Brazil

  3. #3
    tb
    Guest

    RE: Lock a cell from others to edit?

    Hi Marcelo,

    Thanks, but will this secure the entire spreadsheet? I need it so the other
    users can input data but not change my formulas at the end of the columns.

    The problem is I created formulas for different columns different scenarios,
    and since all of us users are in there at different times entering data one
    of the users accidentally changed the formula in one of the columns and it
    messed up all the totals.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Will
    Guest

    RE: Lock a cell from others to edit?

    For a cell that has a formula you want to protect, go to FORMAT, select
    PROTECTION, and make sure the cell is LOCKED. For the cells you want other
    to edit, UNSELECT the LOCKED feature for those cells. Then when you PROTECT
    the worksheet, only those cells that are UNLOCKED, can be edited.

    Will