check for duplicate names in spreadsheet

  1. #1
    lunagirl
    Guest

    check for duplicate names in spreadsheet

    Hi,

    I have a rather large spreadsheet with thousands of names and personal
    details (numeric). Can somebody please show me how I can check for duplicate
    members names, and can I apply the same formula for duplicate personal
    details? I have a separate column for first name and surname.

    Thanking you in advance.

  2. #2

    Re: check for duplicate names in spreadsheet

    I would insert a new column to join the two names into one field.

    =a2&"|"&b2
    (The | is just a separator)

    Then I'd use some of the techniques at Chip Pearson's to find duplicates for
    this column.
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

    After finding the duplicates, I think knowing which formulas to apply would
    either boil down to consistency or some sort of manual effort. (I don't have a
    guess.)

  3. #3
    lunagirl
    Guest

    Re: check for duplicate names in spreadsheet

    Thanks so much for your help Dave, it was exactly what I was looking for.

    Very grateful

    Lunagirl