Help Need Formula for Calculator

  1. #1
    Windsong1948
    Guest

    Help Need Formula for Calculator

    I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added to
    column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items are
    delivered I want to
    simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column for
    a year to date total. Please help me if you can.

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Help Need Formula for Calculator

    "Windsong1948" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added to
    > column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items are
    > delivered I want to
    > simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column
    > for
    > a year to date total. Please help me if you can.

    In B1 use the formula ==SUM(A$1:A1) and copy down.

    If you want column B blank where you haven't yet put an entry in column A,
    you could use
    =IF(A1="","",SUM(A$1:A1))
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Windsong1948
    Guest

    Re: Help Need Formula for Calculator

    Not exactly what I need - Example: Let's say I only have 1 row - Column A1
    has ( 5 ) & Column B1 has ( 5 ) - I enter into A1 ( 3 ) and column B1
    then adds it into what is already there and it then becomes ( 8 ) - I again
    enter into A1 ( 6 ) and column B1 adds it it into what is already there and
    it becomes ( 14 ) like a calculator.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help Need Formula for Calculator

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

  5. #5
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Help Need Formula for Calculator

    "Windsong1948" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "David Biddulph" wrote:
    >
    >> "Windsong1948" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added
    >> > column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items
    >> > are
    >> > delivered I want to
    >> > simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column
    >> > for
    >> > a year to date total. Please help me if you can.

    >> In B1 use the formula ==SUM(A$1:A1) and copy down.
    >>
    >> If you want column B blank where you haven't yet put an entry in column
    >> A,
    >> you could use
    >> =IF(A1="","",SUM(A$1:A1))

    > Not exactly what I need - Example: Let's say I only have 1 row - Column
    > A1
    > has ( 5 ) & Column B1 has ( 5 ) - I enter into A1 ( 3 ) and column B1
    > then adds it into what is already there and it then becomes ( 8 ) - I
    > again
    > enter into A1 ( 6 ) and column B1 adds it it into what is already there
    > and
    > it becomes ( 14 ) like a calculator.

    To add to itself would be a circular reference, and these are to be avoided
    like the plague.
    --
    David Biddulph