World cup spreadsheet help

  1. #1

    World cup spreadsheet help

    Hello

    I am a primary school teacher and my 10 year olds ( the brighter ones) have been working on creating a world cup scoresheet. We have come up against a problem however and I will try my best to explain this. We have used if functions to get a league table going and it all works and updates correctly. One problem - when the scores are blank the league table thinks that these are all 0-0 draws and each team starts with 3 draws. I can't work my way round it because I don't know excel well enough. HELP!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    a bit hard to help without the fuctions you are using.

    But trying the ISBLANK() and ISNUMBER() functions.

    I put an example you can look at:

    =IF(ISBLANK(A1),"blank", IF(ISNUMBER(A1), IF(A1=0, "0 is the score", A1 & " is the score"), "Nonnumeric entry detected"))

    So to break it down, it first check to see

    is A1 blank?

    if yes, display the word "blank"
    If no then find out if A1 is a number?

    If yes, is A1 a 0?
    If no display Nonnumeric entry detected

    If A1 is a 0, display 0 is the score,
    If A1 is a number and higher than 0, display the number as the score

    I put it all together so that you can see how each part works. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: World cup spreadsheet help

    Hi,
    Not really sure of your question, but....

    If you have an IF statement in B1 and you want to test whether cell A1 is
    empty, you would use something like:

    =IF(A1="","",your desired output here)

    This code will leave cell B1 empty if A1 is empty.

    --
    Ken Hudson

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: World cup spreadsheet help

    I have produced a World Cup spreadsheet; if you are interested, I can post to
    you.

  5. #5
    I f someone has msn messenger, please add me at [email protected] and talk me through how to do this. Would be most grateful and would make some kids happy tomorrow.

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    I don't have MSN, but if you want to send me an email [email protected], or send me the spreadsheet, I will be glad to help.

  7. #7
    email sent, cheers.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor