Automatic Population?

  1. #1
    Stacey
    Guest

    Automatic Population?

    Hi Excel Pros,

    I need some help. I am putting together a spread sheet @ work that will
    allow me to pick a model number ( work related) and will auto populate for
    each model number ( there is a 11 of them) the standards and opitions for
    that model number? As each model number has a base price and that might
    include additonal charges?

    Can you please help me? What kind of formula would I use?
    I would use an "If" formula?

    Please let me know.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    Stacey

    Set your variables, Model number, price, etc, etc into a table on another
    sheet and reference that using VLOOKUP formulas

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Stacey
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the info but i am still confused. I have my model numbers in a
    drop down valdiation box. In other words when I select a model number then
    the right price comes up.
    What my question is: How do I use a auto population to so that when I enter
    the the model number the standards and opitions are auto filled?

  4. #4
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    Stacey

    Has this model been built for you? I suspect the price is using a VLOOKUP
    already to 'autopopulate'. My answer just expanded on this to do the same
    for the other variables

  5. #5
    Stacey
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    Hi Nick

    I did use a lookup to create my formula. So when I select a model then the
    base price comes up. So you are saying to create the same idea using the
    lookup formula so that when i select the model number then the base price
    (which already appears) then i can auto fill? So I would put all of my of my
    standards and opitions on a seprate sheet and then use the vlook up formula?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Stacey
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    And how would i create my formula with the information on the next page?
    So that in my formula it would refernce the next page...

  7. #7
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    Stacey

    It's difficult to know what 'dropdowns' you have, but lets back this up and
    set out a quick and dirty example

    Open a new workbook (presuming Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3) and on sheet 2 set up
    a table say from A1:G10 with the model numbers in columnA, price in columnB
    and the other variable in ColumnsC - G. This will give you detail of 10
    products.

    Now on Sheet1, presuming you are going to enter a model number in A1,
    highlight B1:G1 and type the following formula

    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$G$1,{2,3,4,5,6,7},FALSE)

    Now enter this formula by holding Ctrl+Shift while pressing enter. If you
    have done it correctly Excel will wrap the formula in { } and you will get a
    series of #N/As. Now enter a model number in A1 on sheet1 and the data
    should populate. You can copy the formula down as far as you like and enter
    model numbers in columnA.

    Hopefully this will get you started

  8. #8
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Automatic Population?

    Stacey

    Sorry the range in the formula should be $A$1:$G$10

    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$G$10,{2,3,4,5,6,7},FALSE)

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk