How to validate

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    How to validate

    I need to validate an entry against a range of dates. For example, if the user entered a date, that was not in the range E9:E39 the would get a specified message: "Date is not found in the range." I tried using data>validation, but it would not accept the range.

    Thanks in advance.

    ep

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: How to validate

    That should work. Did you choose "List" for the Allow Field? When you enter
    your range, did you start it with an = sign?

    =E9:E39 will look in that range.

    E9:E39 will only accept the literal value "E9:E39"

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor

    Not quite what I want

    Unfortunately it is providing a drop down menu which is what I don't want.

    Regards,

    ep

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to validate

    Use data>validation>allow>custom and put in this formula

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,$E$9:$E$39,0))

    then type in the type of message you want under the error alert tab

    this example assumes that A1 is the cell the user types the date into

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Ended up placing this formula on a hidden admin sheet that I already had, and used the indirect function under data validation.

    =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(G6,E16:E39,0)))

    Thanks for all the help.

    ep