counting responses - please help

  1. #1

    counting responses - please help

    I have survey results in a table - 40 columns x 315 rows (people surveyed)
    I want to count the responses, e.g. Q #1 had 4 choices - S, L, H or W.
    How many in column 1 answered "S"? How many "L"? Etc.

    I have tried SumA, CountA, and DCountA and cannot derive a formula.
    For instance =COUNTA(H3:H315,"H)") just returns the number of responses in column H - not just the responses with "H" in the cells.

    Please help !

    Here is a sample column showing a few results:
    [blank]

    My formula would show for this segment: S had 6 responses, L had 1, W had 1 and H had 1.

    WH

  2. #2

    Peo to rescue

    Never mind, Peo answered this in another thread - it's done with CountIF(H1:H315,"H").

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: counting responses - please help

    =COUNTIF(H:H,"S")

    etc.

    Bob Phillips

    "woodhands" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: counting responses - please help

    You're close........try this instead.......

    =COUNTIF(H3:H315,"H")

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5