How can I connect a word of text to a certain dollar value?

  1. #1
    caracasven
    Guest

    How can I connect a word of text to a certain dollar value?

    I work for a company that gives a certain mileage reimbursement to guys
    working at certain jobs. I want to know how I can enter the name of the job
    and have the dollar amount of the reimbursement show up in the appropriate
    column. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How can I connect a word of text to a certain dollar value?

    Look at VLOOKUP in help.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How can I connect a word of text to a certain dollar value?

    Perhaps something like this:

    Build this table in A1: B6
    ------------
    JobType Rate
    Job1 $2.05
    Job2 $3.12
    Job3 $4.80
    Job4 $5.00
    Job5 $6.20

    D1: (a job type)
    E1: =VLOOKUP(D1,$A$1:$B$6,2,0)
    That formula looks in the first column of the table for the value in D1. If
    it finds it, it returns the corresponding value from the 2nd column of the
    table.

    Example:
    D1: Job4
    E1 returns 5.00

    To make sure that the D1 entry is valid, you may want to use a Data
    Validation drop down list. See Debra Dalgelish's website for instructions:

    Is that something you can work with?
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP