How To Lock Cells and Columns without Protecting Worksheet

  1. #1
    Portland, OR
    MS-Off Ver
    Micro Soft XP, Excel 2003

    How To Lock Cells and Columns without Protecting Worksheet

    I have several areas in my worksheet that I need to protect the formula's, my spreadsheet also has auto filter therefore I can't protect the worksheet or the filter won't work.

    The end user of this worksheet will also need to have the ablitity to delete rows.

    The area that I need to protect are as follows:
    T17:T83
    X17:X83
    AE17:AE83
    AI17:AI83
    AK17:AK83
    AW17:AW83

    AQ1:AU13

    OR if it is easier any cell that contains a formula.

    Any and all help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Paul Mathews
    Guest

    RE: How To Lock Cells and Columns without Protecting Worksheet

    If you're using Excel 2002 or higher, you should be able to protect your
    worksheet and also allow the user to use the AutoFilter as well as delete
    rows. When protecting the sheet, check "Use AutoFilter" and "Delete rows" in
    the "Allow all users of this worksheet to:" check list. If you're using a
    prior version of Excel, this selectivity is not available.

  3. #3
    Portland, OR
    MS-Off Ver
    Micro Soft XP, Excel 2003

    Thumbs up How To Lock Cells and Columns without Protecting Worksheet

    Paul

    Thank you I found what you were talking about I sure glad you were able to help I would have hated my boss having to show something so simple

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How To Lock Cells and Columns without Protecting Worksheet

    You must protect the sheet before any locked cells become locked.

    To use autofilter with protected sheets you must(using 2002 and 2003 versions)
    set the AF on before protecting the sheet.

    See Debra Dalgleish's site for info and some code.

    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Protect

    If using older version see this google search thread.

    http://snipurl.com/rqin

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP