Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

  1. #1
    rholmes via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    Good everning:

    Cells in my spreadsheet have numbers that are needed to identify file names.
    I need to link the file to the numbers. I used the hyperlink function, only
    to lose the number. The number is VERY important, I can't remember, won't
    have a clue, and other viewers of the spreadsheet will be unable to determine
    what file number it is.

    I want the number to show in the cell and the hyperlink function to be hidden
    like any other function on a spread sheet.

    Thank you very much.

    Roberta

  2. #2
    Jason S.
    Guest

    RE: Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    Woops. Does the hyperlink point to a different worksheet ? Maybe the
    hyperlink opens a new file which looks similar, but minus the number. Or
    perhaps, the hyperlink refers to another worksheet in the same workbook.
    Going forward try Tools>Options>Save>Make "local copy" of file.

  3. #3
    rholmes via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    Thank you Jason:

    The cell contains a numeric value that I want to add a hyperlink to and still
    have the numeric value displayed. Right now if I insert a hyperlink from the
    insert menu, I get an error message, "The address of this site is not valid.
    Check the address and try again.". It may work for a moment, but when I
    close and save the file and reopen, I get the above error message. Then I
    used the hyperlink function and that's when I loose my numeric value and you
    only see the function. This is posted on our company intranet site and I
    would get a lot of calls, "where is my file, etc?"

    Roberta

    ******************************

  4. #4

    Re: Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    I've never had any trouble when I used the =hyperlink() worksheet function:

    =hyperlink("file:////server/sharename/folder/filename.ext",12345)

    (where 12345 is the thing you want to see in the cell)

    Other people have said that if they change the hyperlink base
    (file|properties|summary tab)
    to something that is always available (C:\ for instance), it can help stop those
    links from changing.

  5. #5
    rholmes via OfficeKB.com

    WHO'S THE MAN!!! ----- YOU ARE!!! --- Swee! Thank you, Dave!!!!!!

  6. #6

    Re: Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    Are you saying that it worked for you? <vbg>

    Which one did you use?

  7. #7
    rholmes via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    Yes Dave - the following did:

    =hyperlink ("path\filename","text")

    This lets my nurmeric field be displayed only in the cell. My fields start
    with "0" and that is why I had to use the "text " (012345) so the correct
    file name is seen by the viewer and not the hyperlink address. I did not
    have to use " " around the text, just like you have it in your example. But
    I needed the "0" to show.

    Thank you -

  8. #8

    Re: Keeping the hyperlink address hidden in a cell.

    You could format that value:

    =hyperlink ("path\filename",text(a1,"0000000")
    to include the leading zeros.