dynamic lookup

  1. #1
    Giantrobot
    Guest

    dynamic lookup

    I am setting up a model and in doing so I want to setup a dynamic lookup
    command to streamline my work. My model consists of 3 separate workbooks.
    Two of the workbooks serve as lookup tables (one for enrollment, and one for
    residential development) to the the third workbook. Miguel helped me earlier
    with a command for my residential lookup.

    the command works fine and appears as:

    {=INDEX('[res_development.xls]Saz
    Summary'!$D$6:$D$711,MATCH(1,--('[res_development.xls]Saz
    Summary'!$B$6:$B$711=1110823)*--('[res_development.xls]Saz
    Summary'!$C$6:$C$711="SFD"),0))}

    my enrollment command also works and looks like:

    =LOOKUP("1110823",'[geo_stud_0607.xls]lookup
    table'!$A$2:$A$361,'[geo_stud_0607.xls]lookup table'!$B$2:$B$361)

    What I want to do is streamline the model and where it says "1110823" in my
    formulas, I would instead like for it to reference cell I3. This way, when
    I copy and paste my work sheets I can just change cell I3 and the sheet can
    update with the proper information from the other workbooks. I attempted
    this with my array formula and it worked for the first one, but once I copied
    and pasted the page and attempted a new number it updated the corresponding
    cells with "N/A". I also tried to use a VLOOKUP for my enrollment but it
    also came back with an error.

    the VLOOKUP appeared as so:

    =VLOOKUP(I3,'[geo_stud_0607.xls]lookup table'!$A$2:$B$361,2,FALSE)

    I can explain more thoroughly if need be. I'm a little new to these more
    encompassing formulas and have been finding them a little tricky. I just
    want to make my sheets more dynamic and whanted to know if this is possible.
    Thank you all for your time.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: dynamic lookup

    Try change I3 to $I$3 so that this a fixed (Absolute) reference i.e. doesn't
    change if you copy/paste to other cells.

  3. #3
    Giantrobot
    Guest

    RE: dynamic lookup

    I've tried that. When trying to pull my enrollment it gives me the wrong
    data, and when trying to pull my residential data it gives "N/A" still. I'm
    not really cahnging cells either. All formulas are in the same place. I am
    simply copying worksheets and want to change the data in cell I3 (reference
    cell). Everything else stays put though.

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: dynamic lookup

    If it worked BEFORE changing to I£, I find it difficult to see how it doesn't
    work with I3. Is this the only difference? And did the new number exist ...
    if not you will get an error.