Alternative to Indirect

  1. #1

    Alternative to Indirect

    I've learned that Indirect only works in referencing another workbook
    when that workbook is open.
    Is there a way to have a list of references to external workbooks that
    can be selected from a validated list that would then reference a
    closed workbook?

    I know how to create the validated list.....
    Its a matter of finding an alternative to Indirect that would allow me
    to reference a particular workbooks cell value.

    For instance

    Suppose the list was something like
    [workbook1.xls]worksheet1'!A1
    [workbook2.xls]worksheet1'!A1
    etc.

  2. #2

    Re: Alternative to Indirect

    Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a
    closed workbook.

    You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
    Look for pull.zip

    Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
    http://xcell05.free.fr/

    That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.