Vlookup not working properly

  1. #1
    Jaime
    Guest

    Vlookup not working properly

    Hi I'm currently running office 2000 and trying to get vlookup to work
    properly.

    I have 10 tables which must be referenced from one formula.
    The formula must pick which table to use (currently have that working)
    the formula must pick which row and column to use (currently have that
    working)

    I know that that I just said the formula works and it does. However it only
    works for numbers >= 76 and I need it to work for any numbers entered

    Here is the exact formula being used:

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!"&"A1:U151"),Data!E3,TRUE))=TRUE," ",VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!"&"A1:U151"),Data!E3,FALSE))

    As I say this formula works just fine for me for numbers 76-150 (150 is the
    highest number on the table) and returns the correct result. Numbers 1-75
    however do not return anything and there is data in the table that should be
    returned. (Note there are 151 rows in the tables on the other sheets)

    The tables contain both numeric and alphanumeric data and where the formula
    returns data both are returned fine.

    One thing the formula does not do that I would like it to (though its not
    neccessary) is in the event of no exact match returning the next largest
    number that is smaller than the search value.

    Hopefully this is a fixable problem.
    If you need additonal info please just let me know.

    Jaime

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup not working properly

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *Jaime* ha scritto:

    > Hi I'm currently running office 2000 and trying to get vlookup to work
    > properly.
    >
    > I have 10 tables which must be referenced from one formula.
    > The formula must pick which table to use (currently have that working)
    > the formula must pick which row and column to use (currently have that
    > working)
    >
    > I know that that I just said the formula works and it does. However
    > it only
    > works for numbers >= 76 and I need it to work for any numbers entered
    >
    > Here is the exact formula being used:
    >
    > =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!"&"A1:U151"),Data!E3,TRUE))=TRUE,"
    > ",VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!"&"A1:U151"),Data!E3,FALSE))
    >
    > As I say this formula works just fine for me for numbers 76-150 (150
    > is the
    > highest number on the table) and returns the correct result. Numbers
    > 1-75
    > however do not return anything and there is data in the table that
    > should be
    > returned. (Note there are 151 rows in the tables on the other sheets)
    >
    > The tables contain both numeric and alphanumeric data and where the
    > formula
    > returns data both are returned fine.
    >
    > One thing the formula does not do that I would like it to (though its
    > not
    > neccessary) is in the event of no exact match returning the next
    > largest
    > number that is smaller than the search value.
    >
    > Hopefully this is a fixable problem.
    > If you need additonal info please just let me know.
    >
    > Jaime

    Hi Jaime,

    Without your file in front of me, the only thing I can suggest to you is to
    put TRUE or FALSE in the VLOOKUPs in the same manner: or 2 TRUE or 2
    FALSE...

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menues, option and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Franz Verga

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup not working properly

    Hi!

    You have conflicting range_lookup arguments:

    Data!E3,TRUE))...............Data!E3,FALSE))

    Try the formula like this:

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!A1:U151"),Data!E3)),"",VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!A1:U151"),Data!E3))

    This requires the table_array be sorted ascending.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jaime
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup not working properly

    Thanks for the help. Unfortuantly my tables are in decending order though.
    However with your help I found the problem. Formula is now

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!A1:U151"),Data!E3,FALSE))=TRUE," ",VLOOKUP(C3,INDIRECT("Sheet"&B3&"!A1:U151"),Data!E3,FALSE))

    (Putting both cases of FALSE to TRUE causes the formula to not return
    anything.)

    Interestlying enough with the formula I had before I got it to work when I
    specified a range of A1:U301 don't know why this is.

    Unfortunatly the formula I have now doesn't get the largest number that is
    smaller than my search result. but that can wait untill I figure out what is
    wrong or get all 10 tables switched to assending format.

    Thanks for the great and quick help.

    Jaime