Multiple cell reference IF function

  1. #1
    Colinhp
    Guest

    Multiple cell reference IF function

    I want a SUM formula to occur in cell B34 that includes the following cells,
    providing they are not blank. O12,O13,O23,O24,O36,O37,O45,O46,O56,O57,O65
    and O66. These cells have a drop-down selection of numbers from 1-5, and
    have data validation and conditional formatting set to red prior to them
    choosing from the drop-down list.
    I can nest ISBLANKO12:O13 in an IF function and if False have the SUM
    formula occur, but how do I also include these cells
    (O12,O13,O23,O24,O36,O37,O45,O46,O56,O57,O65 and O66) in the IF function too?
    If any of these cells are left blank by the user I want a message to appear
    informing them that they must enter data in all of the cells before they find
    a result shown in B34.
    This message is not to be shown before the user starts entering data in the
    cells.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple cell reference IF function

    Hi Colin

    One way would be to create a named range called Mydata using
    Insert>Name>Define and including your range of 12 cells as the Refers to
    item.
    Then
    =IF(COUNTA(Mydata)<12,"You need more data",your_formula)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Multiple cell reference IF function

    One way ..

    Try in B34:
    =IF(SUM(COUNTBLANK(O12:O13),COUNTBLANK(O23:O24),COUNTBLANK(O36:O37),COUNTBLANK(O45:O46),COUNTBLANK(O56:O57),COUNTBLANK(O65:O66))>0,"Incomplete
    data entry",SUM(O12:O13,O23:O24,O36:O37,O45:O46,O56:O57,O65:O66))
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Colinhp
    Guest

    Re: Multiple cell reference IF function

    Hi Roger,

    Thank you for your help.

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple cell reference IF function

    Hi Colin
    Thanks for the feedback.
    If I had read your question thoroughly I would have realised what the
    formula was that you wanted and my response should have been
    =IF(COUNTA(Mydata)<12,"You need more data",SUM(Mydata))

  6. #6
    Max

    "Roger Govier" wrote:
    > .. =IF(COUNTA(Mydata)<12,"You need more data",SUM(Mydata))

    Nice, neat solution, Roger !

  7. #7
    Colinhp
    Guest

    Re: Multiple cell reference IF function

    Hi,

    The nominated cell for the error data is too small for the user to see. Is
    there a simple solution to having a message box appear when the If function
    returns the message? I have posted this question in the Excel programming
    section, prior to me reading your second response. Data Validation appears
    not to work as the cell is not selected by the user.

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple cell reference IF function

    Hi Colin
    Try changing to
    =IF(COUNTA(Mydata)<12,"DATA!!!",SUM(Mydata))
    Then apply conditional formatting to cell
    Formula Is =NOT(ISNUMBER(cellref)) where cellref is the cell where your
    formula is entered
    Format Font RED, Bold