Copying a hyperlink with a function

  1. #1
    Randy
    Guest

    Copying a hyperlink with a function

    I'm running Excel 2003. I have a list of values in one sheet (call it 1),
    several worksheets of which each contains a unique status report and another
    sheet (call it 2) that contains values from sheet 1 that also contains a
    hyperlink to the unique status report sheet. The values in sheet 1 change a
    couple of times a week and contain up to 700 rows of data. What I cannot
    figure out is how to compare the values in sheet 1 against the values in
    sheet 2 and if there is a match, then copy the hyperlink to the status report
    from sheet 2 to sheet 1. I can do a vlookup to compare the values but I
    cannot get the hyperlink function to work. I prefer not to use a macro if at
    all possible unless it can be setup to only run from sheet 1 and only look at
    sheet 2.

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

    Randy

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Copying a hyperlink with a function

    You cant get the hyperlink with only the vlookup. You'll need to use the
    hyperlink function as well. Let's say you have something that looks like
    this in A1

    A1: Z:\folder\file.doc
    B1: =hyperlink(A1)

  3. #3
    Randy
    Guest

    RE: Copying a hyperlink with a function

    Barb,

    I've tried this several times and no matter what I put in cell A1 I receive
    the "Cannot open specified file" error. What's they syntax for A1 if I want
    to jump to another sheet in the same workbook? Also, I've tried typing in
    the exact path based one what you see from a hyperlink that was created by
    right clicking and choosing hyperlink and that does not work either.

    Thanks!

    Randy

  4. #4
    Randy
    Guest

    RE: Copying a hyperlink with a function

    HYPERLINK(I25,J25)

    I25 is the cell that contains the hyperlink and J25 is the friendly name

    I'm beginning to think there is something corrupted or locked in my
    spreadsheet becaust I got this to work fine in a new workbook.

  5. #5
    Barb Reinhardt

  6. #6
    Randy