How do I copy formulas but using the same range each time I copy

  1. #1
    Laffin
    Guest

    How do I copy formulas but using the same range each time I copy

    I want to fill/copy a formula within a specific range but each time I try to
    fill or sopy it changes the range it is supposed to looking in so I am
    getting errors.

    For example,

    Row 1 - =LOOKUP(J2,Sheet1!A2:A153,Sheet1!B2:B153)
    Row 2 - =LOOKUP(J3,Sheet1!A2:A153,Sheet1!B2:B153)

    But, if I just copy or fill I am getting the second row showing up as:
    =LOOKUP(J3,Sheet1!A3:A154,Sheet1!B3:B154) instead of as Row 2 above. I do
    not want to type the formula 500 times.

    Is there a solution?

  2. #2
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: How do I copy formulas but using the same range each time I copy

    For the cell references that you do not want to change as you copy it down
    put a $ before the Row and column refernce of the cell. for example:

    =LOOKUP(J2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$153,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$153)

    When you copy this down the J2 part will progress but the other cells will
    not progress.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Sheffield, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Just going off on a tangent, I want my formula to stay the same when dragged from left to right, so the $ works fine, but I want the Sheet reference to change.

    The sheets are Apr06, May06, Jun06 etc.. and are in consecutive order, is there anyway to accomplish this??

    Thanks