display and count the number of times a value appears

  1. #1
    dbath
    Guest

    display and count the number of times a value appears

    I am trying to count the number of times each zip code appears in an address
    list and have it display each zip code with the count beside it
    ie

    11456 6
    20457 5
    74653 12

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: display and count the number of times a value appears

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *dbath* ha scritto:

    > I am trying to count the number of times each zip code appears in an
    > address list and have it display each zip code with the count beside
    > it
    > ie
    >
    > 11456 6
    > 20457 5
    > 74653 12

    Use the COUNTIF function:

    if your zip codes are in column A starting from A2, in B2 put:

    =COUNTIF(A:A;A2)

    then copy down

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menues, option and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    dbath
    Guest

    Re: display and count the number of times a value appears

    Thank you for your help but I seem to be missing something I beleive
    Maybe this will better illustrate the situation

    column S column T
    ZIP count

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    If your addresses are broken out into separate cells (Street in A, City in B and zip in C) you could use a simple Pivot Table. Assuming your header is in
    C1 and your range is C1:C100. Select the range, click on the Pivot table wizard. When step one appears, click next. Step two should have your range in it if you selected it before opening the wizard so click next. Click on Layout. Your header should appear on the right. Drag that to the Row section and then again to the data section. The item in the data section should say "count of zip" if your header in C1 is zip. Select where you want the Pivot Table to be and click on finish.

    HTH

    Steve

  5. #5
    dbath
    Guest

    Re: display and count the number of times a value appears

    I got the other way to work but I will rty to learn this way as well
    I quickly rear about Pivot tables and gave up but your explaination
    seems fairly easy
    Thank You

  6. #6
    dbath
    Guest

    Re: display and count the number of times a value appears

    That Pivot Table is the ticket
    Once I messed around with it it was great
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

    Cheers,
    Steve