How do I delete duplicate cells?

  1. #1
    AYANG
    Guest

    How do I delete duplicate cells?

    Is there a way to delete cells if they are already listed on a separate
    spreadsheet?
    For example, I have two list of names (list A & B)

    List A List B
    dog cat
    cat goose
    monkey
    kangaroo
    goose

    Since cells containing cat and goose are in list B, is there a function that
    will delete those cells from list A?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I delete duplicate cells?

    One formulas play to get there ..

    Assume List A is in Sheet1 col A, List B is in Sheet2 col A,
    data assumed from row2 down

    In a new Sheet3,

    Put in A2:
    =IF(ROW(A1)>COUNT(B:B),"",INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(SMALL(B:B,ROW(A1)),B:B,0)))

    Put in B2:
    =IF(Sheet1!A2="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Sheet1!A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",ROW()))
    (Leave B1 empty)

    Select A2:B2, copy down to say, B100,
    to cover the max expected extent of data in Sheet1's col A

    Col A will return the required results neatly bunched at the top,
    ie items in Sheet1's col A not found in Sheet2's col A.

    (Hide away the criteria col B, if desired)
    --
    Max
    Singapore