How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

  1. #1
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Following up on a previous query..........I am able to look along a row of
    values and return the name of the cheapest supplier thanks muchly toJohn
    Topely and Bob Philips.

    To obtain the name of the supplier I tried
    =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(MIN(IF($B2:$E2>0,$B2:$E2)),$B2:$E2,0))

    as suggested and it works well.

    Extending on that idea, how would I go about returning the name of the
    supplier that had the next cheapest rate and the third cheapest given that I
    have 24 suppliers. For the purpose of illustration, I have only shown 3 in
    my example.

    Site Supplier A Supplier B Supplier C
    Bilo1 175000 150000 125000
    Bilo2 125000 50000 60000
    Bilo3 50000 60000 70000

    Any help appreciated

    Cheers

    Mark

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Hi Mark

    Try the array formula (Enter with Control+Shift+Enter)
    {=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(SMALL(IF($B2:$E2>0,$B2:$E2),COLUMN(A:A)),$B2:$E2,0))}
    Copy across through successive columns.
    Column(A:A) will find the first smallest. As you drag across that will
    change to B:B etc to find the second smallest etc.
    If there is no value that meets the test, for example if there are only
    2 values out of the 3 entered, then it can't find the third smallest and
    will return a #NUM error.

    If you want to get rid of this, then wrap the whole formula in an error
    trap
    =IF(ISERROR(formula),"",formula)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Second smallest

    =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(SMALL(IF($B2:$E2>0,$B2:$E2),2),$B2:$E2,0))

    Third

    =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(SMALL(IF($B2:$E2>0,$B2:$E2),3),$B2:$E2,0))

    Bob Phillips

    "Mark McDonough" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Following up on a previous query..........I am able to look along a row of
    > values and return the name of the cheapest supplier thanks muchly toJohn
    > Topely and Bob Philips.
    >
    > To obtain the name of the supplier I tried
    > =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(MIN(IF($B2:$E2>0,$B2:$E2)),$B2:$E2,0))
    >
    > as suggested and it works well.
    >
    > Extending on that idea, how would I go about returning the name of the
    > supplier that had the next cheapest rate and the third cheapest given that

    > have 24 suppliers. For the purpose of illustration, I have only shown 3 in
    > my example.
    >
    > Site Supplier A Supplier B Supplier C
    > Bilo1 175000 150000 125000
    > Bilo2 125000 50000 60000
    > Bilo3 50000 60000 70000
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Mark

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum........

    Mark,
    I had posted a reply to this several days ago! As per Bob's
    reply.

  5. #5
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Thanks very much guys.........I'll give it a go at work tomorrow
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    This works very well.....Thank you.

    Just trying to understand the formula though. I have a column of minimum
    data so that I can probably get by with a simpler formula.

    What is the COLUMN(A:A) and SMALL for. It seems to me to be redundant. The
    formula I have used is exactly as presented below but the whole calculation
    does not depend on column A at all.

    Having used this formula, a major hurdle has been overcome at work and now
    they want me to present it to the group - quite scared!!!

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Hi Mark

    SMALL() uses arguments of 1, 2, 3 etc. to give the smallest value in a
    range, the second smallest etc.
    You can hard code these numbers into a formula, which means you have to
    alter each formula as you copy it across the page.

    COLUMN() returns the column number, COLUMN(A:A) will return 1, but as
    you copy across from the first cell, then it changes to COLUMN(B:B),
    COLUMN(C:C) etc. thereby stepping up the number in the argument for you
    automatically so one formula can be copied across (and down) the sheet
    as appropriate.

    The fact that you are not using data in Column A is of no consequence,
    it is merely fixing the result to be 1 in your starting formula.

  8. #8
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Thanks for that enlightenment Roger.

  9. #9
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

    Your more than welcome Mark. Thanks for the feedback.