Using a cell reference within a cell reference in a formula

  1. #1
    david
    Guest

    Using a cell reference within a cell reference in a formula

    I believe it is possible to use a cell reference as one component of a
    formula but I can't remember how. What I want the overall formula to do
    is pick up the letter component from another cell reference - can
    anyone help please?

    Thanks

    David

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Using a cell reference within a cell reference in a formula

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *david* ha scritto:

    > I believe it is possible to use a cell reference as one component of a
    > formula but I can't remember how. What I want the overall formula to
    > do is pick up the letter component from another cell reference - can
    > anyone help please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    Hi David,

    You can use the INDIRECT function.

    Try to check the on line guide, then If you should need any help, post your
    formula here.

    I'll show you an example:

    =SUM(INDIRECT(A1&"2:"&A1&"100"))

    so if in A1 there is B the above formula is equivalent to:

    =SUM(B2:B100)

    Be aware that if you use the INDIRECT function in connection with another
    file, for example:

    =SUM(INDIRECT([WB2]Sheet1!A1&"2:"&[WB2]Sheet1!A1&"100"))

    also the second file should be open to have a result; if not, you will have
    a #REF! error.

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    david
    Guest

    Re: Using a cell reference within a cell reference in a formula

    Thank you - I'll try it

    David