In Excel, how can I stop the drag function to copy and not add?

  1. #1
    DavidClaborn
    Guest

    In Excel, how can I stop the drag function to copy and not add?

    I want to copy selected rows by grabbing the fill handle and dragging down.
    Currently, some columns are adding instead of just copying the number. How
    can I control what the fill handle does?

    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
    Dave Claborn

  2. #2
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: In Excel, how can I stop the drag function to copy and not add?

    try use right mouse button insted of left when dragging down
    then select copy

  3. #3
    DavidClaborn
    Guest

    RE: In Excel, how can I stop the drag function to copy and not add

    Yeah, that works, but I should've specified that I'm looking for a way to
    change the default function from FILL SERIES to COPY.

    But now that I use the right button, it's about as easy as what I wanted
    anyway. And just "cntrl-c"ing with the down button works as well.

    Thanks for the help!
    Dave

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: In Excel, how can I stop the drag function to copy and not add?

    David

    If just one cell is selected you get a copy.

    If two or more cells are selected Excel helps by autofilling/incrementing.

    As the other response points out, use the right-click and drag and choose from
    the options.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP