TROUBLE COPYING AND PASTING FORMULAS

  1. #1
    belga
    Guest

    TROUBLE COPYING AND PASTING FORMULAS

    I'm trying to copy the following formual into a column of cells:
    =VLOOKUP(G10,Data!B1:C11,2,FALSE)

    But every time I copy/paste, Excel decides to change my Data!B1:C11 table
    array screwing up my formula. There has got to be a better way. Also, this
    will not allow me to cut and paste multiple versions of my excel file. The
    "look up" value does change appropriately.

    Please help. I have tried everything.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: TROUBLE COPYING AND PASTING FORMULAS

    One way is to lock the table_array (make it as: Data!$B$1:$C$11)
    viz. use instead the expression:
    =VLOOKUP(G10,Data!$B$1:$C$11,2,FALSE)

    Alternatively, we could create a defined range for the table_array
    via clicking Insert > Name > Define, with the settings as:
    MyTable: =Data!$B$1:$C$11
    (Names in workbook: Refers to)

    and then use it as: =VLOOKUP(G10,MyTable,2,FALSE)
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    R..VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: TROUBLE COPYING AND PASTING FORMULAS

    one way of copying a formula EXACT IS

    highlight formula in the formula bar
    control+C
    ESC----this is important