treat cell contents as reference not value?

  1. #1
    Matt D Francis
    Guest

    treat cell contents as reference not value?

    Hi,

    What the the function I use to tell a formula to use the contents of a cell
    as reference to another cell rather than a value in itself?

    Example

    Cell Contains
    A1 Dave
    A2 Andrews
    A3 Evans
    A4 A2

    My Formula is

    =A1&A4

    I want it to return "DaveAndrews", not "DaveA2"

    Possibly not the best example, but its simple I need it to treat the
    contents of A4 as a reference rather than a value.

    I've done it before but can't remember how

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: treat cell contents as reference not value?

    =A1&INDIRECT(A4)

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Matt D Francis” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    Matt D Francis
    Guest

    RE: treat cell contents as reference not value?

    Great I remember now, thank-you for the quick reply,

    Matt

  4. #4
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: treat cell contents as reference not value?

    You are welcome! Thanks for the feedback!
    Stefi

    „Matt D Francis” ezt *rta: