Carriage returns in the formula bar?

  1. #1

    Question Carriage returns in the formula bar?

    Hi, I have a large table which needs many columns (too many to do manually with alt-enter) joined together in this particular way:

    A1: textA
    B1: textB

    I need to join these two cells with a carriage return like so:

    C1: textA
    textB

    Everything I have tried as a carriage return has only given me the □ character instead of a carriage return. Is there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    andy62
    Guest

    RE: Carriage returns in the formula bar?

    I will, in advance, admit that this is not an elegant solution, but maybe it
    will work for your purposes:

    Set cell C1 to "wrap text" (Format . . . Cells . . . Alignment) and then try:
    =CONCATENATE(A1,"
    ",B1)

    Where the space between the quotes is filled with spaces. Possible weakness
    include: long textA or textB that exceeds the cell width, and printing.
    Maybe someone else knows how to get a return into a concatenate function.

  3. #3
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Carriage returns in the formula bar?

    Try:
    =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

    Note: Until you go in and change the format so that text wraps, it will
    (most likely) look funny and not appear to have worked.

    Format-cells-alignment-wrap text
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Carriage returns in the formula bar?

    In C1 enter =A1 & CHAR(10) & B1

    Double-click on the fill handle of C1 to copy down.

    Format Column C to wrap text.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Carriage returns in the formula bar?

    "rubeus" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi, I have a large table which needs many columns (too many to do
    > manually with alt-enter) joined together in this particular way:
    >
    > A1: textA
    > B1: textB
    >
    > I need to join these two cells with a carriage return like so:
    >
    > C1: textA
    > textB
    >
    > Everything I have tried as a carriage return has only given me the
    > □ character instead of a carriage return. Is there a way to do
    > this?

    =A1&CHAR(10)&B1
    (and remember to format C1 with text wrapping enabled).
    --
    David Biddulph