Display ranked data in order from a range

  1. #1
    S Davis
    Guest

    Display ranked data in order from a range

    Hello,

    This is a continuation of a recent problem I had. But never mind that
    for now

    I essentially have a range of data which has been ranked from largest
    to smallest and according to various criteria. I would now like to
    return those results which are ranked highest until a certain point -
    example; my workbook tells me I need to know the top 15 results. I
    would like to return the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on results until the
    15th, or whichever number that happens to be.

    I envision something that can return the number one ranked result as
    long as it is less than the cell which contains the limit (15), and
    copying that down with modification so that it brings over the 2nd, 3rd
    etc.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: Display ranked data in order from a range

    Assuming your list of numbers was in the range A5:A28 (not including any
    headings), you could enter this formula in a cell in another column and copy
    it down 14 times:

    =OFFSET($A$5,RANK(A5,$A$5:$A$28,0)-1,0)

    If your range will be more dynamic, you could set it up to look at all of
    column A, as follows:

    =OFFSET($A$5,RANK(A5,A:A,0)-1,0)

    Hope this helps,

    Hutch