How to Activate Vlookup Function?

  1. #1
    ViestaWu
    Guest

    How to Activate Vlookup Function?

    Not happened only once in current days, and both on my computer and other
    users computer.

    I have written a most simple Vlookup function like
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE), but the result is #N/A. I can find the
    matched record in Sheet2, and in tools=>options=>Calcultion, setting is
    Automatic. So according to my understanding it should work. And later I found
    that If I want to activate my function, I have to double click the A2 cell,
    no changes and press Entry.

    I have more than 800 records, so to activate it one by one will be a heavy
    job.

    Do you have any idea about this?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to Activate Vlookup Function?

    Try instead: =VLOOKUP(A2+0,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
    Copy down

    The "+0" is one way to coerce the text lookup number to a real number
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    ViestaWu
    Guest

    Re: How to Activate Vlookup Function?

    Hello Max,

    I took this try, but failed again. Even after I double click and press
    enter, it can't be right. Actually, I set A:A as Text, which are item_no in
    my lists and both test and numbers are allowed.

    Do you have another idea?

    Thanks,
    Viesta

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to Activate Vlookup Function?

    The earlier suggestion was my interp from your orig. posts' lines:
    > > > that If I want to activate my function, I have to double click the A2 cell,
    > > > no changes and press Entry.

    Since it appears to be now the other way round <g>, from your lines:
    > .. Actually, I set A:A as Text, which are item_no in
    > my lists and both test and numbers are allowed.

    Perhaps try something like:
    =VLOOKUP(A2&"",Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
    to convert the real numbers in the lookup col to text numbers
    so that these will match what you have in the lookup col of the table_array

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to Activate Vlookup Function?

    > Perhaps try something like:
    > =VLOOKUP(A2&"",Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
    > to convert the real numbers in the lookup col to text numbers
    > so that these will match what you have in the lookup col of the table_array

    Another alternative could something like:
    =VLOOKUP(TEXT(A2,"0000"),Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
    where there are leading zeros in the text numbers [to 4 digits]
    in the lookup col of the table_array (eg: 0010, 0100, 0002, etc)

    Adapt the "0000" part to suit ..

  6. #6
    ViestaWu
    Guest

    Re: How to Activate Vlookup Function?

    Thanks so much Max.
    I tried =vlookup(a2&"", sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE), and it works.
    So the reason is, though I set it as text, excel can't recognize it, unless
    I alter it to text obligated, right?

  7. #7
    Max

    "ViestaWu" wrote:
    > Thanks so much Max.
    > I tried =vlookup(a2&"", sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE), and it works.

    Glad it worked.

    > So the reason is, though I set it as text, excel can't recognize it, unless
    > I alter it to text obligated, right?

    Yes, numbers being matched need to be consistent:
    either text vs text, or real vs real
    (lookup values vs lookup col in table _array)