adding conditional rows

  1. #1
    Deepak Varde
    Guest

    adding conditional rows

    Hello, I want to be able to have rows/cells generated with a certain text
    based on the answer given by a user.
    For example, My question in a cell could be "how many groups have you made?".
    Now to this if the user answers "3" then I would want three cells below to
    ask "what is the name of your first group", "what is the name of your second
    group" and so on. Based on this further questions could be asked.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Have a look in vba help index for INPUTBOX

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    As a astarter

    Sub Macro1()
    Dim ans
    Dim i As Long
    Dim sName As String

    ans = InputBox("How many groups have you made")
    If ans <> "" Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Resize(3).Insert
    For i = 1 To ans
    sName = InputBox("What is the name of group #" & i)
    ActiveCell.Offset(i, 0).Value = sName
    Next i

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Deepak Varde
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Hello Bob,
    Can I do this without the VB? I dont know how to program macros or any form
    of VB. I was looking more towards understanding the concept and then
    applying. If there is no way then I would try and understand the solution
    that you've provided.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Not really. You might be able to get some way with conditional
    formulae/formatting, but not for the sort of flexibility that you seek.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Deepak Varde
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    thank you bob, your help was indeed very useful. Now could you pls tell me,
    what reading material should I refer to, to understand programming macros?

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Deepak,

    Try starting here

    'Getting Started With Macros And User Defined Functions' at:

    You might also look at David's tutorials page at:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#tutorials

  8. #8
    Deepak Varde
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Thank you Bob. Thanks a million.

  9. #9
    Deepak Varde
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Dear Bob,

    In the solution provided by you, how do I assign a perticular cell to
    capture/store the user inputs from the questions answered in the inputbox

    Regards,
    Deepak

  10. #10
    Deepak Varde

  11. #11
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    If I properly understand you, Bob provided that in his first post
    another idea

    range("a1").value=inputbox("your question")

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: adding conditional rows

    Deepak,

    Do you understand how to use variables? I ask as I showed you that first
    post up, but I think you may not have understood.