Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    I'm copying nfl.com's schedule to an Excel file.
    It places , e.g.,
    Miami at Pittsburgh in column A
    8:30 PM in column B
    What I'd like to have is:
    Miami in column A
    at in column B
    Pittsburgh in column C
    ( I don't need a time column)
    How can that be done ?
    The 'at' would be the only constant, but the # of characters on either side
    of the at will always be different (San Francisco, Denver, New York Jets, etc)

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    Check out Data > TextToColumns > Delimited >, using a space as the
    delimiter.....

    Practice with a copy of your file first...

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Steve
    Guest

    RE: Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    Thanks much. So simple.

    Steve

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    You're welcome, happy to be of help

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Steve
    Guest

    RE: Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    One small glitch. With the duplicates, such as NY Jets/NY Giants & all the
    San's ( Francisco, Diego) because of the space's, it's properly putting the
    first words in the column, but putting the words after , e.g., the San in
    another column.
    A B C D
    Oak at San Francisco
    Is there an easy way to get the D column text into the C column after San ?

    Thanks again,

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    Using column E as a helper, put this formula and copy down.....

    =IF(COUNTA(C1:D1)=2,C1&" "&D1,C1)

    Then, highlight column E and Copy > PasteSpecial > Values, to get rid of the
    formulas, then replace column C with it if you wish and delete column D

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Converting data in one cell to 3 different cells

    Another way is to use two formulas, assuming your data in column A,
    Put this in B1 and copy down
    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" at ",A1,1)-1)
    Put this in C1 and copy down
    =MID(A1,FIND(" at ",A1,1)+4,99)