Sorting Data From One Column into Multiple Columns

  1. #1
    Justin Hoffmann
    Guest

    Sorting Data From One Column into Multiple Columns

    Hello,

    In my work, I download a lot of statistical data from government sources.
    Unfortunately, the data is usually presented in a way that is not easy to
    manipulate or work with. Right now, I am working employment data for the 50
    U.S. states.

    The spreadsheet I currently have essentially has three really long columns.

    The first column is the state name (United States, Alabama, Alaska,
    Arkansas, Arizona, etc.)

    Second column is the the industry (Agriculture, manufacturing, retail, etc.)

    Third column is the data for employment.

    Rather than having all of the data in long (6000+ rows), I want to place
    each of the states in to their own column. So the final table would look
    something like this:

    First column: Industry
    Second column: U.S. data
    Third Column: Alabama data
    Fourth column: Alaska data
    Fifth column: Arkansas data

    And so on until the last state

    Is there an easy way to accomplish this rather than using cut and paste?

    Thanks for your help and suggestions.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Data From One Column into Multiple Columns

    Take a look at Pivot Tables....I think they'll give you the flexibility
    you're looking for.

    Here's how to set it up:

    <Data><Pivot Table>
    Use: Excel
    Select your data
    Click the [Layout] button

    ROW: Drag the Industry field here
    ROW: Drag the State field under the Industry field
    DATA: Drag the EmploymentData field here
    If it doesn't list as Sum of EmploymentData...dbl-click it and set it to Sum
    Click [OK]
    Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!

    To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data

    Post back with any questions.

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Justin Hoffmann
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data From One Column into Multiple Columns

    Thanks. I'll give that a try.

    n article [email protected], Ron Coderre at

  4. #4
    Justin Hoffmann